Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Purplepellers

Purplepellers are often discussed in our house.  Often we are missing our lego purplepellers.  What is this I speak of, you ask?
G (the supercute four year old boy I call my own) says:
"alligator" for elevator
"eyebrown" for eyebrow
"honeybird" for hummingbird
"purplepeller" for propeller


I would like to be able to bask in the cuteness of the things my son says that are not quite right.  Instead they are like flashing red lights in my day, reminding me of all my worries about his speech delay.  It is so hard to see evidence that signals in our communication are getting crossed and distorted, without knowing what is actually happening for sure and if it can or will change.


I remind myself how grateful I am that G can tell me what he needs in a few words, that he understands our relationships, that he can tell me he loves me and ask me to say I love him too.  I am excited and hopeful that he likes reading together so much.  He memorizes his favorite parts of the books and he has just figured out that the letters on the pages spell the words I am reading!  If he can learn to read it will give him so much more freedom from the confusion of auditory processing mixups.  Our current favorites are Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever, The Pigeon Wants a Puppy by Mo Willems, Leaves by David Ezra Stein and In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak.  When we read Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever, his absolute favorite part is "He doesn't eat the toaster!"  Kid's got a sense of humor, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
blogger template by arcane palette